So it’s been, what, like two months? Yeah, that seems about right. Leave it to me to take a two month coffee break when I’m getting the most views of PKtM‘s lifetime, and to come back when I’m getting my lowest amount of views in years. Fuck me, right?
Tag Archives: Blog Stuff
PKTM WILL RETURN ON APRIL 1, 2016. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.
Half-Assed End-Of-the-Year Round-up (Plus 2016 Housekeeping!)
Happy Belated New Year, you filthy animals!!!
I’m sorry for the continuing lack of activity over the holidays, but to be fair, it’s hard to do a lot of writing when you’re busy ringing in the new year with gusto.
Of course, when I say “ringing in the new year” I obviously mean “getting drunk on bathtub moonshine, loudly proclaiming my love for Brie Larson in the middle of Churchill Square in the afternoon and making the street urchins I have chained up in my basement dance to the Pokemon theme song for my amusement”.
Yes, my parents are proud of me. Why do you ask?
Anyway, with 2015 now being spoken of in the past tense, I figured now was the ideal time to both do some minor housekeeping and do some extremely quick reviews for any 2015 movies that I haven’t had the chance to comment on yet.
First, some aforementioned housekeeping stuff:
- For the most part, business as usual will continue. I will write mostly movie reviews, and (hopefully more often) other things. Occasionally, I may attempt a joke. It will end badly.
- It’s getting into Oscar season and, as usual, I need to get on reviewing some of THOSE movies. If I get around to it, i may look at the Razzie movies too (shudder).
- My Top 20 Best Movies of 2015 list isn’t coming out until after I’ve seen the movies that I need to see for Oscar season. Otherwise, that’d be pretty stupid of me, wouldn’t it?
- DeathMatch is dead. I’m sorry for anybody who really liked that (I’m sure there was maybe one of you), but I kind of don’t want to do it anymore, and the response I got (or lack thereof) in the last post just doesn’t justify me keeping it going. I enjoy doing Who the Fuck!?!? much more, anyways.
- As usual, comments are welcome and appreciated. Just know that my tolerance for spam, racism, sexism, homophobia and general dickheadishness is low. This comment section is not a democracy. It is a totalitarian regime, and I am Supreme Leader. will only earn you a cruel response from me viciously attacking everything about you, followed by prompt deletion of your comment. Don’t like it? Start your own shitty blog.
Mind you, I’ve only ever needed to delete one comment, so I’m not too worried about needing to exercise the BanHammer. This counts as a Fair Warning, though.
Now that that shit’s out of the way, it’s time for some extremely quick, extremely poorly done reviews!
(Note: On the off-chance that any of these movies are nominated for Best Picture, I’ll be sure to do a full review)
Plot: Sean Penn spends two hours showing us his abs.
Thoughts: The solid action from director Pierre Morel and star Sean Penn doesn’t excuse the uninteresting plot, boring pace, and waste of both Javier Bardem and Idris Elba.
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Plot: An American spy (Henry Cavill), a Russian spy (Armie Hammer) and a German civilian (Alicia Vikander) must team up to stop Italian fascists from ending the world, or some shit.
Thoughts: It figures that an American would be played by an Englishman, a Russian would be played by an American, and a German would be played by a Swede, doesn’t it?
Anyways, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. is a solid throwback to the spy movies of yore. Does that make it anything special? Hell to-the-no, but it’s definitely not bad.
What We Do In the Shadows
Plot: Some folks from Flight of the Conchords made a movie about vampires living in modern-day Wellington, NZ. It’s just as fucking awesome as it sounds.
Thoughts: Why are you still reading this shitty blog after reading this premise? Watch the fucking movie!
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Plot: Greg (Thomas Mann) is forced by his parents to befriend Rachel (Olivia Cooke), who, you may have guessed, has terminal cancer. Hilarity ensues.
Thoughts: If you’ve ever read a John Green book, you probably know some of the more basic beats of this movie, but that doesn’t make it any less impressive in its execution and emotional impact. Also, RJ Cyler is fucking hilarious.
Plot: In the dystopian hellhole of a future that is 1997, a teenage boy (Munro Chambers) and a free-spirited girl (Laurence Leboeuf) must team up against a tyrannical warlord (Michael Ironside).
Thoughts: It’s extremely violent, fully aware of how silly it is and overindulges in the fact that it’s an 80’s movie released in 2015. And god bless it for that.
Plot: Malcolm Adekanbi (Shameik Moore) is a geeky, hardworking high school senior from the not-so-friendly town of Inglewood, California who, through no real fault of his own, gets mixed up in some less-than-savoury activities. Hilarity ensues.
Thoughts: Watch Dope. Why? Cuz it’s DOPE.
Beasts of No Nation
Plot: A West African boy is separated from his family during a civil war and joins up with a rebel group as a child soldier. Hilarity ensues.
Thoughts: It’s harrowing and dramatic, but also incredibly acted by Idris Elba and newcomer Abraham Attah, as well as beautifully shot by Cary Joji Fukunaga (Who doubled as cinematographer and director). Sure, it’s violent and heartbreaking, but that doesn’t make it any less of a must-see.
Quote of the Day- November 27, 2015
“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.”
Quote of the Day- November 25, 2015
“And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.”
— Isaiah 2:4
Quote of the Day- November 13, 2015
“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life…You give them a piece of you. They didn’t ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn’t your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like ‘maybe we should be just friends’ turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It’s a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.”
-Neil Gaiman, Sandman
Quote of the Day- November 10, 2015
I’m Still Alive
It has been fourteen goddamn days since my last post. And that was just a Quote of the Day. You have to October 14th since my last post that I had to put actual thought into.
There are a few reasons for my negligence. Let’s list them all! Lists are fun!
- The Toronto Blue Jays made the playoffs for the first time in my lifetime. As my Twitter feed will attest, watching that on TV has taken up a good chunk of my time. They just got eliminated, so that’s that, I guess (I hope the KC Royals have their fucking knees broken).
- At the beginning of October, school turned the intensity from “6” to “Fuck you, shithead, kiss your free time goodbye”.
- When I did try to write, it didn’t come out great. I tried writing a Round-Up at the end of September. It came out badly, so I scrapped it. I spent eons workshopping a new DeathMatch and flip-flopping on my decisions. I also tried writing a review of Beasts of No Nation, but again, it didn’t come out great. That’ll be on a Round-up, I expect.
- I’m just plain lazy. The other stuff didn’t help, though.
Now that the worst seems to be over, I’m working on some new stuff that should put me back on top of things once again. These include:
- The first actual Jessica Jones trailer dropped, so my “Who the F*** is That?!?!” series will soon come out of its two-month long hiatus. As more trailers for Captain America: Civil War, Batman v Superman and Daredevil season 2 come out, there’ll be more of that too.
- A new comic-centric DeathMatch should be kicking off sooner rather than later, so look out for that.
- Now that Oscar season is just around the corner, I’m gonna start looking for more of “those” types of movies, to put it glibly. Hopefully, my wallet holds up, but we’ll see.
- I’ll have one giant Round-up for September and October, because I’m a lunatic.
- I have a few more awards I was nominated for, but they’re not really my priority right now. Thanks a lot to Bookidote for the nominations, though!
- A fiction thing that I’m working on that I think has the potential to turn out really excellent.
That’s all for today. I’m not promising anything, but there should be new content out by Monday. Should be.
Quote of the Day- October 2, 2015
“You have the right to remain silent, but I don’t recommend it.”